Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for August, 2007

annapolis.jpg There’s a great scene in the movie Annapolis where they quote the great philosopher Mike Tyson.  “Everyone’s got a plan until they get hit.”  This is why they teach boxing.  They want to see how people will really react under pressure.  Customer service training is great in the classroom up to the point an agent takes the first call from an angry customer.  Even simulations can go only so far.  In golf, it’s not can you sink at three foot putt…it’s can you sink a three foot putt for big money.

Read Full Post »

How Fast Is Lightspeed

Light travels from the earth to the moon in 1.2 seconds.  Light travels about 5.8 trillion miles in a year (probably not on a single tank of gas.)  So how fast does it take to forget a boring lecture?  It may be faster than light because you forgot it before you heard it.

Read Full Post »

I ran across this video called the world’s faster reader.  It’s actually a little boring watching someone read fast.  However reading fast has a lot more advantages to reading slowly.

Read Full Post »

Shrinking Classrooms

All too often classrooms are used for training because if you have them then you have to use them.  It’s also easy to just throw an expert into a classroom.  However, we know from every study ever done on retention that 80% of what we hear as lecture in a classroom is forgotten by the next day or easily with then next week.  So what I find works the best is to pull as much content out of training and put it into some other form sometimes as simple as a job aide.  Then I use classrooms exclusively for application and discussion.  Classrooms are still really good for things that require interactions.

Read Full Post »

This is a new show on Fox.  That tests smart adults on history, social science, math and health taught in 2nd through 5th grade.  The question is not why adults can’t remember this knowledge but rather why are we teaching stuff to kids that they will forget?  Perhaps they forget it because they never get to use most of the knowledge for anything.  It also might be that 90% right is an outstanding grade but that means they never learned the other 10%.  If that’s 10% on every test for 12 years, that’s a lot of missing knoweldge.

Read Full Post »

There are a lot of things I don’t get about schools. 

  1. Why is this the only time in your life that you spend all day with others exactly the same age?
  2. Why is an education 12 years rather than when your done?
  3. Why are teachers basically at the top of their profession the day they start? 
  4. Why do we teach reading in first grade and then never touch the subject again?
  5. Why if schools are about socialization that so many people hated their high school experiences?

Read Full Post »

Check out Arupa’s new book on how to unleash the power of intuition can Ting A Surprising Way to Listen to Intuition & Do Business Better .  It’s about fast, fast, fast learning!

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »